Monday, July 31, 2006

Looking at the Bay Area market ...

One of the reasons I moved to Northern California was for more opportunities. And while there are many more, there's also considerable competition. So how do you stand out from the rest?

First of all, I suppose I better start working, establishing some credentials and bylines before tackling larger publications. Part of me also wants to work at a few smaller publications to also meet people and socialize -- I don't know if that's the best idea, but here I am in a new and different world and friends would be nice, don't you think?

I'm going to work hard at networking because that's one thing I wasn't doing as well when I was in Southern California. So far, I'm looking at a few regional magazines and checking in with editors. I don't know how much luck I'll have, but I'm at least hoping for some!

1 comment:

BabyBlogger said...

Have you noticed how many more freelance opportunities there seem to be in Northern California as opposed to those in Southern California?

OT, but I noticed the same thing years ago re: grants. There seem to be far more funding sources in the north.

Anyway, good luck to you!