Sunday, October 29, 2006

Motivation when sometimes you have none

As any writer knows, there will be days when you just can't get motivated. I call those days weekends.

I work full-time M-F, so weekends are the only days I can work on freelance writing with any kind of time. And so I end up putting it off until late afternoon on Sunday, type up a rough draft and then Monday morning, I wake up at 6:45 a.m. and make a bleary-eyed read-through. Make some changes and ship it off before 9 a.m.

Not the way to go? Probably not. Why do I do this? I want my weekend! It's childlish, but I guess in my subconscious way, I am thinking this. I want to go sit by the ocean and do nothing (although I don't end up doing that too much either.) So, I'm now officially making an attempt to do one draft, however crappy on Saturday. And hopefully that helps me out a little. Hopefully?

For those of you who love video games, you have got to love the Bay Area (or more specifically SOMA!) Now you can make it your career! And IDG isn't a bad place to work, I've heard.

For those a little more traditional, there's also working for a wine trade mag in San Rafael and for the very traditional, working for Stanford University.

No comments: