Tuesday, July 03, 2007

What will happen to newspapers?

Mercury News reporter Dean Takahashi blogs about it and the recent layoffs, but it's something that has been bothering journalists (like myself) for a while now. What is going to happen to newspapers? Can we become viable media companies?

It seems the majority of bloggers are people spouting opinions on other people's opinions and stories with very little reporting done. I can't say I have much faith in that model. Or perhaps I'm just a little too biased?

Either way, watching this video will sober you fast.

I don't know if Googlezon is our end of days, but it makes you think. Especially when you realize some people stupidly say, "I don't read newspapers, I read the Internet." Unfortunately, reading news organizations online doesn't give anyone any money to buy groceries or pay rent.

No comments: