Thursday, June 17, 2010

First Day of Vacation

That's what I like to call it anyway. It's actually the first day that I don't have anything due or any assignments. And since my blogging gigs dried up I'm pretty free to devote myself to my lesser-paying but more personal ventures like this one.

So, what shall I do? Work on my summer school syllabus? Find another job? Or just take a nap? I have to say the latter is sounding very good right now.

I spent the last week copywriting for a website, which is generally advertising copy. The time to do it was only 7 or 8 hours, but I found myself being unable to do it for more than an hour or two at a time. I realized that I can't really write advertising copy because I guess I disagree with it fundamentally -- the idea that I must create desire for something, to get someone to buy something by making it sound appealing. In journalism it felt like I wrote the truth and there it was......but I guess in some way I was writing it to be bought, too.

Sometimes being a writer is confusing and disheartening. So, on that note, I've decided to concentrate on my book which I've ignored for the last year. I think it's time.

Does this mean I'm taking a vacation from freelancing? Technically no. I'll still be pitching and writing when I can but my primary focus will be on my book. If I work hard I think I can have a workable manuscript by Christmas -- although I find making arbitrary deadlines is setting myself up for failure. So, let's just see where we go as the seasons change.

No comments: