Thursday, October 12, 2006

Why are would-be writers so lazy?!

I finally finished a gigantic project and can concentrate on writing about country bars. Yes, you read that right.

Every time I go on writing forums there are always three new "writers" who want everyone to give them complete market guides to book reviews, nonfiction articles or places that accept freelance material. Does anyone actually read or bother to do a Google search anymore?

It's like going to a public place like a bank and asking people to give you the names and addresses of companies looking for job candidates, without doing any work themselves like reading a newspaper or checking online ads.

Part of being a writer is doing your own research. You have to read publications to understand them -- and to pitch to them. If you don't -- you don't want to be a writer. You want something much easier.

Kept man or woman, perhaps?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean and where you're coming from. I can't remember how I found your blog, but I bet we frequent some of the same forums. I've added you to my blogroll and I'll be reading!