Monday, May 19, 2008

Procrastination = Laziness - Money

pen writingThe art of writing is the art of applying the seat of the pants to the seat of the chair.—Mary Heaton Vorse

Now that my school semester is coming to an end, I really have no excuse not to be pitching story ideas. Good ones, too, but ones I've been putting off because of school work and ... dare I say it? ... fear of rejection.

Don't you hate when your insecurity makes you freeze up? Oh, but it still does, even to people who have been doing this for a while. Maybe it's because I ate too many ice cream sandwiches today and feel ginormous, or maybe it's because my allergies make me look I've been crying all day, but I just don't feel very self-confident lately.

I found
this on the Web about procrastination, and namely about writing:

Fear of failure: If you are scared that a particular piece of writing isn't going to turn out well, then you may avoid working on it in order to avoid feeling the fear.

Fear of success: Some procrastinators (the author of this handout included) fear that if they start working at their full capacity, they will turn into workaholics. Since we procrastinate compulsively, we assume that we will also write compulsively; we envision ourselves locked in a library carrel, hunched over the computer, barely eating and sleeping and never seeing friends or going out. The procrastinator who fears success may also assume that if they work too hard, they will become mean and cold to the people around them, thus losing their capacity to be friendly and to have fun. Finally, this type of procrastinator may think that if they stop procrastinating, then they will start writing better, which will increase other people's expectations, thus ultimately increasing the amount of pressure they experience.

Fear of losing autonomy: Some people delay writing projects as a way of maintaining their independence. When they receive a writing assignment, they procrastinate as a way of saying, "You can't make me do this. I am my own person." Procrastinating helps them feel more in control of situations (such as college) in which they believe that other people have authority.

No comments: