Monday, February 11, 2013

Back before it's too late!

Well, I did get a teaching job, so I guess I'm fortunate. That or I enjoy putting off writing my YA novel. I think I need to write it and I need to come up with at least one chapter for a writing conference. I think that's my goal for the summer.

I am having my students read Maus by Art Spiegelman and several of them have problems reading a graphic novel. I'm trying to find some teaching resources on this, but essentially I'm supposed to caution them to go slowly and take in the visuals before reading the speech bubbles. I mistakenly thought this would attract my visual learners, but I think it also gives them too much to take in, too.

I'm still freelancing, probably more than I need. Still debating taking another assignment for $1,200 because it means two more weeks I won't be writing my novel. I shouldn't have to choose, right? But that's what happens when you work a day job and freelance. Those who are able to write a book in these conditions are far more awesome at time management than am!

No comments: